California has the unique system of Regional Centers that were set up by the Lanterman Development Disabilities Act. The Regional Centers are tasked with serving those with developmental disabilities in their catchment areas. Currently, there are 21 regional centers in the State of California.
The Lanterman Act gives people with developmental disabilities the right to services and supports that enable them to live a more independent and normal life. Furthermore, the Lanterman Act declares that persons with developmental disabilities have the same legal rights and responsibilities guaranteed all other persons by the federal and state Constitutions and laws.
What this means is that any person with a substantial disability have the following rights:
Services that protect liberty, provided in the least restrictive (most integrated) way
- Dignity, privacy and humane care
- Treatment, services and supports in natural community settings, to the greatest extent possible
- Participation in an appropriate program of publicly supported education regardless of the degree of disability
- Prompt medical care and treatment
- Freedom of religion and conscience, and freedom to practice religion
- Social interaction and participation in community activities
- Physical exercise and recreation
- Freedom from harm, including unnecessary physical restraints, isolation, excessive medication, abuse or neglect
- Freedom from hazardous procedures
- Choices in one’s own life, including where and with whom one chooses to live, relationships with people in the community, how to spend time (including education, employment and leisure), the pursuit of one’s chosen personal future, and the planning and implementation of a plan that fits the needs and desires of the individual
- The opportunity to make decisions and to have information understand to help make informed choices
At Lee Green & Stewart, we are committed to helping you safeguard these rights and to ensure that you and your loved ones receive the dignity and the supports that are guaranteed by the Lanterman Act. We will represent you at your IPP, file your fair hearing requests, represent you and any informal meetings or mediations and litigate your fair hearing.
Special Needs Law
Let’s get started
Lee Green & Stewart
Attorneys at Law
301 E Colorado Blvd, Suite 705
Pasadena CA 91101-1911
(800) 985-9713 (tel)
(626) 768-3394 (fax)